Records seem to indicate the cost of the 1894 brick structure at $5000. No amount is recorded for the1921 High School, or the 1930 stairway North entrance to the 1894 building; however, the 1962 elementary building is recorded at $130,000. It is a commitment of the present administration to treasure and maintain these structures built on the sacrifices of the past generations. Those early families, as well as present supporters, are to be commended and are remembered in daily prayer for benefactors past and present.
Through the years, Sisters of various communities have staffed St. Mary School: Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration from LaCrosse, Sisters of St. Francis of Dubuque, Sisters of Notre Dame of Omaha, Sisters of Mercy from Detroit, Sisters of Charity, BVM, of Dubuque, and currently a Sister of the Presentation of Dubuque. Names of significant religious women
remembered through the years include: Sister Benigna Schreck, FSPA, Sister Leonita Teeling, FSPA, Sister Olivia Cox, FSPA, Sister Antonine Kivlahan, FSPA, and Sister Imogene Klein, OSF.
1922 St. Mary Alumni Association held its first dinner; this tradition continues to this day; 1927 St. Mary High School Orchestra organized; 1929 the “EMBLEM” first published; 1945 the Home School Association was chartered at St. Mary’s; 1962 initial drive for free bus transportation; 1968 High School closed; 1968 hot lunch program established for 256 students;1986 Board approves new kindergarten program; Since 1995 major restoration of the 1894 & 1921 buildings was initiated and a heritage room established, grounds improved, playground and soccer field created, and with these externals a renewed vitality within the learning environment.
For more information regarding the Alumni Association, click here.
2000 and Beyond
Entering the new millennium, St., Mary School had an enrollment of 145 students, Kindergarten through 8th grade. The Catholic identity is foremost in the school environment; the curriculum, strong in basics and enrichment activities, meets or exceeds state standards. The fine arts focus is built on the rich tradition of the past. Technology enhances the program, and students continue to succeed as citizens beyond the school campus. A development office has been established to connect with sources of support and alums to invite a return of treasure, time and talent for the firm educational foundation received and to insure that the next generation has an opportunity for a Catholic school education.